What to wear to a funeral has changed and continues to change with time. We are more relaxed, less formal in 2021 than we were even ten years ago. Still some basic principles endure. A funeral is a somber respectful occasion.
1. Unless religion or local tradition dictate, black is no longer required. However subdued colors are always appropriate.
2. That said, in some instances the family may request that guests wear bright colors or even fan attire to reflect the interests of the deceased. Of course, if this happens you will want to honor the wishes of the family.
3. If you are struggling to decide what to wear think about what you would wear to an interview for a job that you really want to land.
4. For ladies a dress, a skirt, or dress slacks will be lovely
5. For gentlemen slacks and a shirt with a collar will do nicely. This is a good time to skip the ball cap.
6. Clean and neat goes without saying.
7. Finally, it’s not about you. It is not your moment to shine. Attendees come to offer comfort or show respect for human life. Think about the principal mourners when choosing your attire. If your grandfather died what you wear should not cause your grandmother to gasp.